Virtual Developing Country
Welcome to the Virtual Developing Country. This site introduces you to many of the issues and ideas that are of interest in the field of development economics. You can take a series of virtual field trips throughout Zambia visiting a number of places and people. At each stop on the way you will be able to gain access to key data and economic theory, a glossary, pictures and have the opportunity to complete worksheets.
Please note, the Virtual Developing Country was updated in 2005. To find out which areas have new material, please visit our updates page.
There are three main sections:
- Background Information - before embarking on each tour, check here to find out about Zambia's economic history, geography and current economic situation.
- Field trips - there are five field trips including aid, wildlife and agriculture. Each one has a different focus and visits a number of different places en route.
- Worksheets - try some worksheets to test your understanding of the issues
- Teachers' guide - information about how to get the best out of the site
- Data Sets- economic statistics and other indicators for Zambia and selected countries
- Photo gallery - flick through the photos used throughout the site
- Maps - a series of maps of Zambia
- Glossary - find out here what different pieces of development terminology mean
Also available is a site index that gives you an overview of the Virtual Developing Country site. We hope you enjoy your trip around Zambia. Use the navigation bar on the left to make your way around the site and from one field trip to another. The home icon (of Africa) in the top left-hand corner of the page will get you back here any time.
This is a subsection of Biz/ed; a freely accessible Internet service for students, teachers and lecturers in business and economics. It has been made possible through funding from Just Business, AngliaCampus and Unilever.